Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 2003 17:01:03 -0500
From:      gv-list-freebsdquestions@mygirlfriday.info
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cron on qmail not sending me logs

Hello Ralph,

RD> Thank you for your replies.

I am in the process of migrating from Linux and setting up my first
FreeBSD box, so I am unfamiliar with FreeBSD, but I do know qmail well.
Qmail normally logs to its own multilog, (far superior with busy servers),
when and if you installed daemontools... For a good working knowledge of
qmail, visit www.lifewithqmail.org

You also should have a local user on that box to handle all the dot-qmail
files and aliases.  Mail forwarding is accomplished from the .qmail files.

RD> When I manually send mail to root from either inside the box or from
RD> elsewhere, it is properly received by ralph@maxsoft.com (an external domain).

Normally, your /var/qmail/alias/ dir contains your aliases, e.g.
.qmail-root, .qmail-abuse, .qmail-postmaster, .qmail-hostmaster, etc..
these files contain just the name of the of the user that controls the
.qmail files.. Example... ralph would be in the .qmail-root file. Then you
can put in as many .qmail files in your home dir for what you wish...
example, your main .qmail file would contain ralph@maxsoft.com (don't need
the &, see man dot-qmail).. Just some thoughts. I suppose it works your way,
but you are limited on what you can do using that method.

--
Best regards,
 Gary