Date:      Sun, 13 Mar 2022 14:15:44 +0100
From:      Michael Gmelin <grembo@freebsd.org>
To:        "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
Cc:        Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks@gmail.com>, Kristof Provost <kp@freebsd.org>, freeBSD-net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: epair and vnet jail loose connection.

> On 13. Mar 2022, at 14:07, Patrick M. Hausen <hausen@punkt.de> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BFHi all,
>=20
> i was a bit puzzled by Michael using bhyve trying to reproduce.
> Up until now I thought bhyve uses tap and not epair?
>=20

In my setup, FreeBSD 14 runs on a bhyve vm, hosting the jails, which use vne=
t.

Bare metal -> FreeBSD 13.0 -> bhyve -> FreeBSD Current -> vnet jails haproxy=
/web01

Replace bhyve with VMware, AWS, or a bare metal server to understand the set=
up.

The reason I=E2=80=99m doing this is:
1. I don=E2=80=99t want to update the bare metal host to a non-release versi=
on
2. Johan is running his setup inside a vm as well.

Best
Michael

> Anyway ...
>=20
>> Am 13.03.2022 um 14:01 schrieb Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks@gmail.com>:
>> I have no idea why it does not work on my setup, which is nothing out of t=
he ordinary i think, basic full jails connected to a bridge interface and on=
e of them exposed to the world wide web using pf binat.
>=20
> What we do is full exposed VNET jails connected to the bridge
> on the external interface of the host. ipfw kernel module loaded
> but not used in this case, i.e. only the "default to accept" rule active
> in the jails.
>=20
> I will probably downgrade the production host from 13.1-PRERELEASE
> to 13.0-pX tomorrow and see if that changes anything.
>=20
> Kind regards,
> Patrick
> --=20
> punkt.de GmbH
> Patrick M. Hausen
> .infrastructure
>=20
> Kaiserallee 13a
> 76133 Karlsruhe
>=20
> Tel. +49 721 9109500
>=20
> https://infrastructure.punkt.de
> info@punkt.de
>=20
> AG Mannheim 108285
> Gesch=C3=A4ftsf=C3=BChrer: J=C3=BCrgen Egeling, Daniel Lienert, Fabian Ste=
in