Date:      Fri, 30 Aug 2013 11:22:40 +0200
From:      Niclas Zeising <zeising@freebsd.org>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, Matthew Rezny <mrezny@hexaneinc.com>
Subject:   Re: ports/156405: x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati driver: no hardware rendering

On 2013-08-30 08:22, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> From my previous post and Niclas Zeising's response:
>
>>> When I tried with new Xorg and KMS in 9-STABLE, my system froze immediately, not just the console.  I finally managed to downgrade to the old Xorg after
>> considerable difficulty.
>
>> What hardware do you have?  Are you sure that the system froze, and not
>> only that the console went black?  Did you check any logs (dmesg, xorg
>> log, etc.)  How do you load the kernel modules for the intel kms driver?
>> In general, you shouldn't need to load anything at all, X loads the
>> correct kernel module at the correct time during startup.
>
> I don't remember about the logs, and now is far too late.
>
> But I remember doing everything I did when I had this problem with NetBSD on old computer, native xorg server, not pkgsrc, and no KMS.
>
> Nothing I did with keyboard had any effect.  I tried to Ctrl-Alt-F1 and "shutdown -r now", nothing.
>
> I also tried the Caps Lock key to see if there was any life, did not light up.
>
> By the way, another problem I had with NetBSD was the text console screen blanking after 30 seconds inactivity and not coming back until I could find my way in the dark to a root command prompt and type
>
> screenblank -u

This could be a NetBSD specific issue maybe?  As I said before, I had no
trouble on my laptop running 'startx' from the black console, so I
assume shutdown -r now works as long as I have a root shell.  I also
could shut down cleanly with the power button, using acpi.  All this on
FreeBSD.

>>> This still leaves the question of how to set it up in terms of hardware.  I don't think there are any FireWire consoles.
>
>>> Would I plug anything into the motherboard's FireWire port?  I just thought of FireWire-to-HDMI cable but haven't looked to see if these exist.
>
>> Check the guide.  In general you plug the firewire cable from one
>> computer into another computer, and use the first one to debug the second.
>
> Does it have to be Firewire as opposed to something else like USB or Ethernet?

It has to be FireWire...  With FireWire it is possible to do DMA, or
access system memory directly, or somesuch, which makes it work (and
also is a security issue, apparently).  I have heard people suggest
making a debug network stack to be able to debug remotely using
ethernet, but this is not possible today.

> Regarding xorg.conf, I could run, as root (already did), "Xorg -configure" from present installation, and make one version with driver vesa.
>
> I see I have a /root/xorg.conf.new with Driver "fbdev".  Change that to "intel" for one version and "vesa" for the other?

Something like that, then you have to point X to the right config at
startup.

Regards!
--
Niclas