Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 23:20:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David La Croix <dlacroix@cowpie.acm.vt.edu>
To:        kris@obsecurity.org (Kris Kennaway)
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Latency of security notifications

On the topic of "early notification" how about adding a custom header
(which any user active on the list and/or had read the appropriate
guidelines on posting could add on any appropriate "early-warning"
alert type messages/SAs)

The custom header could be checked for by the mail filter, and used
to separate out the announcements from the discussion.

I am not an expert on Majordomo, (or other list managment services), so
I'm not sure if it's possible to stick an X-Freebsd-security: Alert
header in there and have Majordomo send it on, but I think that might
be the magic to help those who don't have time to filter through the
messages, and don't want to miss an important advisory/warning.

Perhaps only a Security officer might have access to post  with the
new headers.

(I haven't spent that much time thinking about it ... I'm on vacation.  :)

Another thought might be to setup a second moderated mailing list -- which
sets the reply-to address to be the normal list and shares the same
subscription list as freebsd-security.  (then people could forward mails
based on the addressee to their pagers/phones/911 mail folder.

We could also have suggested usage for the "importance/priority" (sorry,
can't think which it is) heading to bring into play when someone posts
a broad warning such as "NTP has a buffer overflow exploit".