Date:      Mon, 27 Feb 2006 00:19:45 +0100
From:      Terje Elde <terje+geom@elde.net>
To:        OxY <oxy@field.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: which mirror balance algorithm to use?

OxY wrote:
> my box is a file server, it has about ~100-150 simultaneous connection
> all the time, so the disks are very busy..
> i'd like to use the best performance balance algorithm to reduce disk
> load, which is about 80-90% now..
> which one should i use? 'load' and 'round-robin'?
> why?

There are many factors here.  If you're using both slow and fast disks,
using the load algorithm might have some advantages for example.

I know this isn't the answer you want, but the best way to go about this
might actually be to test the different algorithms.  It's easy enough to
change, and then you can run up some numbers on how well it seem to be
performing with the different ones in your setup.  Best thing would be
if you could run with a simulated load after hours, so you can get the
exact same test patterns run for the different algorithms.  Combine with
trying them out with real world load, and things should get interesting.

Terje