Date:      Sat, 14 Aug 1999 18:14:13 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Random disk read problems

Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca> probably said:
> I've been told that 1542's do not work well with multi-user/multi-taskin
> g O/S's.  I'm not sure what SCSI controller you're using.  Could it be
> that your controller is corrupting data when it is "very" busy?

I had a couple of small routers/dialup machines built around 486s with
a 1542CF (no need for the multi-io card, it drives the floppy to) and
FreeBSD (this was around 2.1.* era) and had zero problems with
corruption even when they were busy - I hate a tape drive one of them
since it doubled as a backup server.

This also doesn't explain why the diffs are identical.

> Other than that, additional information will be needed to diagnose the
> problem, including a uname -a, dmesg output, and a copy of your kernel
> config file posted to this list.

P.

--
pir               pir@pir.net      pir@shore.net      pir@net.tufts.edu