Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 15:20:40 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>
Cc:        "Michael Conlen" <meconlen@obfuscated.net>, "Matthew Rudderham" <matt@cape-breton-island.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: What Are Standard Procedures For System Backup

Thanks ... makes at least part of it a bit clearer than the awful man page.

I think I understand the purpose of that "-0af", & "path to dump file" looks
like its sorta  like /backup (assuming its a local partition) ?? The useage
of "filesystem" here is not clear however ... man filesystem doesn't tell
me anything

> I am not sure what you can't find in the docs.

The docs don't provide info in an intelligible format on exactly how to use
"dump"
I get TOTALLY confused with the extremely obtuse synopsis stuff in most man
pages, (man ppp is a notable exception) as do many others of my
acquaintance.
Thankfully there are usable explanations of many things at one of the
user-friendly
sites like freebsddiary / bsdvault / lnova / etc, but unfortunately there
doesn't appear
to be any articles on dump / restore. I guess the the format of official
docs is
meaningful to experts, but many other users have extreme difficulty making
any
sense out of them. Many others have asked the same thing previously, but
here we
go again. Why can't we have some "step_by_step" explanations & sample usage
rather than that impossibly vague synopsis stuff ??