Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 07:48:39 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vn subsystem

> > > Erm, wonderful.  Can we have some commentary from someone who's
> > > actually proven this either way now?  Like I said, my own usage of the
> > > vn driver has not shown any such instability.  If someone who's
> > > _actually used it_ can now comment on its instability, we'll get a lot
> > > further.

I griped about the vn device a month or two ago, with a small
amount of primary swap and a large vn swap device I could freeze
the system at will when I started swapping to the vn device.
*However*, I also found and fixed a hardware problem (summertime,
ambient temp increased 10F, caused a cpu to overheat) that
probably was the real cause.  Anyway, tossing the vn device fixed
the problem then, but by chasing the (reproducible) symptoms of the real
problem to a completely different spot.  (As an aside, then the system
was completely stable except for building the world, it would
hang every time at the exact same spot in the build, hardware is
so much fun :).

Haven't seen any vn problems since (but haven't looked either).
The origin of the vn complaints was a comment by Dyson about vn
"instability" when he was in the midst of VM mods in March or thereabouts.

I'm a very happy camper now, looking forward to the
elf stuff coming in.

Russell