Date:      Wed, 24 May 1995 17:09:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        "matthew c. mead" <mmead@Glock.COM>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Zip Drives

On Wed, 24 May 1995, matthew c. mead wrote:

> 	Has anyone tried the new IOMEGA Zip drives?  They're the $200
> drives with the $20 100M cartridges.  I've been wondering how reliable they
> are, if they could be used for fairly easy backup of a FreeBSD system, and
> if anyone has had any problems interfacing them to FreeBSD (it's a SCSI
> peripheral, so I would tend to think it would look like any other
> removable drive).  Thanks in advance.

I made a deal with Justin Gibbs:  I lend him a zip drive, he works on
the driver I use (2842A) and tried to get it working.  I ordered one
from MicroWarehouse, they said they'd ship in days, then weeks, now they're
not sure.  I guess this is waiting on MicroWarehouse, unless someone knows
a SURE better supplier.  Thank Justin for the offer, I guess.

BTW, it's supposed to go direct to Justin, I won't see it until
afterwards, but a Mac'ified friend of mine gave me a demo, and what a drive!
Imagine a FAST 100 meg floppy!  Access times quoted at 29 msec.

7608 Topton St.             |
New Carrollton, MD 20784    | I run Journey2 (Freebsd 2.0) and n3lxx
(301) 459-2316              | (FreeBSD 1.1.5.1) and am I happy!