Date:      Sat, 1 Mar 2003 11:23:35 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1046971418.07b8e3@mired.org>
To:        kitsune <kitbsdlists@HotPOP.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel panic question

[Format recovered. Please insert newlines.]

In <20030228160755.4e34ba4b.kitbsdlists@HotPOP.com>, kitsune <kitbsdlists@HotPOP.com> typed:
> Would this be a problem with the hardware, kernel, or what?

> What is happening is I mount /dev/ad2s1e and them move files to it
> from /dev/ad0s1e. It will go nicely for a second or two then I will
> get a kernel panic. I also risk getting a kernel panic if
> /dev/ad2s1e is even mounted. I have had trouble with this befor but
> did not look to closely into it. The first time I had this problem
> was when I tried mounting what is now /dev/ad0s1e from
> /dev/ad2s1e. That drive works nicely on /dev/ad0s1e but did the same
> thing as this new drive is doing when I tried to put it on
> /dev/ad2s1e. I managed to create the fs and ect succesfully on the
> drive when it was mounted on /dev/ads1e originally and manage to
> write a bit to it, but if I tried to move or write any thing large
> to it would kernel panic just like this new one is doing.

This sounds like a flaky ide controller. Broken file systems can cause
the system to panic, and if you're getting bogus reads, that would do
it. Of course, more information - a traceback from an unstripped
kernel, for instance - would allow more accurate diagnosis.

	<mike