Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2006 16:37:41 +0100
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@FreeBSD.org>
To:        gayn.winters@bristolsystems.com, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: no file system after replacing bad RAID drive

--On tisdag, november 28, 2006 07.16.47 -0800 Gayn Winters
<gayn.winters@bristolsystems.com> wrote:

> [...]

Well, before replacing the disk, the file system worked OK (only degraded,
no redundancy). The Dell guy replaced the disk while the system was shut
off, Dell thinks that may have something to do with, but it sounds strange
to me. When disk was inserted, it seemed like it was rebuilding, since all
disks in the cluster where flashing vividely.

I tried a rebuild with the system on line, by first setting the new disk
off line and then

# megarc -physoff -a0 pd'['0:3']'
# megarc -doRbld -a0 -RbldArray'[0:3]' -ShowProg

it took a couple of hours, maybe four, but not 14. Perhaps it is not OK, I
dunno.

My problem is that it cannot find a bsd label on the disk, and hence no
devices are created:

$ ls -l /dev/amrd1*
crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  66 Nov 28 10:09 /dev/amrd1
$

fdisk looks OK:

# fdisk amrd1
******* Working on device /dev/amrd1 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=35669 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=35669 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

fdisk: invalid fdisk partition table found
Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 165 (0xa5),(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 63, size 573022422 (279796 Meg), flag 80 (active)
        beg: cyl 0/ head 1/ sector 1;
        end: cyl 852/ head 254/ sector 63
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 4 is:
<UNUSED>

but I cannot look for a bsdlabel, since there is no slice? There used to be
a /dev/amrd1s1d that was one single slice for the entire disk. It should be
possible to reproduce it, but how and what happens if I do this?

If I enter sysinstall, it is all empty, no slice and naturally label, so I
need to add a partition slice in the fdisk submenu, and then I can create a
bsd label. Problem is, I want to data back... :-/

/Palle