Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 18:05:43 -0400
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>, Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, peter@FreeBSD.ORG, crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Subject:   Re: Holy cow - path component freeing a mess? (was Re: D'oh!)

>     The differences between -current and -stable for nfs_serv.c and nfs_subs.c
>     are relatively minor.  Once we've life tested the hell out of it in
>     current, it should be easy to MFC into stable.  Maybe 3 weeks total.

Hmm... that is a bit long for us... 3 weeks, 21 days at 1.7 day/panic =
0.59 Panic/Day ==  21 (day) * 0.59(day/panic) [remeber to check your units ;]
that's another 12 panics for us (if they keep up at the current rate).
Luckily since we have backed down to NFSv2 we are a bit more stable.  The only
reason the server went down today is because the IDE disk decided to flake out.
It was amazing, even though the OS disk was dead it still continued to serve
some NFS requests (from different partitions of course :)

Don't get me wrong, I agree this is the correct procedure, but I plan to roll
my own nfs_serv.c untill it gets MFC-ed... and I'll be able to provide you
with some real world test results of the new code on -STABLE.

--
David Cross                               | email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Systems Administrator/Research Programmer | Web: http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~crossd