Date:      01 Nov 1999 09:47:59 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        Erik Stainsby <stainsby@lets.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: read lease length on DHCP license?

Erik Stainsby <stainsby@lets.net> writes:

> I am about to be using ADSL as my primary connection from home to my
> production environment and want to be able to setup a VPN of sorts between
> the home box and the working static network.  ADSL as provided by the
> telco is DHCP only.  What I'd like to be able to do is establish the lease
> duration sa given by the telco when I connect, and ship this as a TTL with
> the IP assigned to my nameserver, register that in the name tables,
> restart the nameservice and voila! I'm a member of my named space.
>
> Am  I insane? Is there any clearly foreseeable flaw? Any pointers?

Very ugly, but it should work.

I do see a problem with setting the TTL from the lease duration.  You
actually want to set the lease duration a lot shorter, and you're
still going to have race conditions where people who cached your
address will continue to use the old address for the TTL.  Not that
there Is No Way to avoid that without cooperation between the DNS
master and the DHCP server, though.

As a rough estimate and for most purposes, I'd set the TTL at the
shorter of a) half the remaining time to lease *renewal* and b) one
hour, but that's mostly because it's going to mimic typical practice.

Be well.