Date:      Mon, 1 Jun 1998 21:43:50 +1000 (EST)
From:      Carey Nairn <cpn@dpac.tas.gov.au>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   weirdness with 2.2.6

Hi all,

I am having some strange things happen with my 2.2.6 box.  When using su
to login as root (whether telnetting in from another machine or logging in
at the console), I am getting mysterious hangs with this program.  This
usually happens after the machine has been up for more than 12 hours.

Things to note:

- the machine has no keyboard or video card and so diverts all console
output to cuaa0.

- The terminal I use is not always connected to this machine.

- xterm sessions already su'ed to root continue to work

- sending a HUP to init doesn't fix the problem

- rebooting fixes the problem for at least a few hours

- Top reports the state of the the su process as siobi (whatever that
means), memory usage is fine (not using any swap), processor is basically
idle most of the time.

I thought that the problem might be related to there being no terminal on
the serial port and getting some sort of a blocking I/O situation when
trying to write the su message to the console, but if that was the case I
should have the problem EVERY time I try to su (even straight after a
reboot).

The machine is a 486-66 with 16MB RAM

Any thoughts/ideas about this would be most welcome.

cheers,
Carey Nairn