Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2012 23:39:22 +0300
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        flo@freebsd.org, bde@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fast gettimeofday(2) and clock_gettime(2)

--RI0j69zTdciYrvy/

The latest version of the patch is at
http://people.freebsd.org/~kib/misc/moronix.6.patch
The patch was extensively discussed with Bruce, reviewed by John
and performance-tested by Florian. I consider it ready for commit.

Patch enables shared page on i386, since it now has a use on this
architecture as well.

For non-x86, a placeholder is implemented to allow the architectures to
compile. I cannot test them, and I would be glad to get confirmations that
gettimeofday() is not broken on them.

I looked over some non-x86 architectures, in particular, mips, powerpc
and sparc, which have facilities similar to tsc. I definitely will help
for architecture maintainers to implement usermode gettimeofday().

Unless somebody raise valid objections, I plan to commit this next week.

--RI0j69zTdciYrvy/

--RI0j69zTdciYrvy/--