Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 03:45:55 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        bad@wireless.net (Bernie Doehner)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, dillon@apollo.backplane.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: limiting per process swap space utilization like Solaris ulimit?

> > > Why is it that under bash's ulimit -v, the swap space utilization is the
> > > sum of the data segment size and the stack size?
> >
> > Read-only pages don't need to be backed by swap?
>
> Actualy I already asked the very same question in a different forum.  I
> assume the text segment is NOT swapped out because it is referenced way
> TOO often to be practical/efficient to swap out?

No; it's mostly not swapped out because it's referenced sufficiently
frequently that it never gets tot he end of the LRU list.

If, however, your system is starving for memory, or you have a lot of
dirty data being accessed so that it's at the front of the LRU, clean
text pages will, in fact, be discarded, and then read back in as
needed.

[ ... A combination quota on swap and vm ... ]

> Actualy I think Solaris does this too..

If you mean "doesn't enforce a quota", yeah.

The closest thing you could get would be "memoryuse", but that
includes code pages, too.

See the csh "limit" command instead of the bash command.  ;-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.