Date:      Thu, 9 Mar 95 10:58:26 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        kav@ihlpf.att.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: AT&T Starlan NAU Problem

> I'm having problems trying to use an AT&T StarLan 10 NAU (ie0) on the
> February 10th snapshot of FreeBSD 2.0. I couldn't find anything to
> determine the status of this driver, but I noticed that the
> installation program did list it as a supported internet card.
>
> During an FTP of a large file I see reset messages (which it seems to
> recover from). Sometimes there are no reset messages - the system just
> locks up tighter than a drum. I also tried NFS but as you can imagine that
> only caused the problem quicker.
>
> The card is a 16K card at the standard settings. Is this a known problem
> with the driver? Is there a recommended card that I should be using?

Garrett Wollman wrote this driver, and it should work (mostly).

There is a known problem with 6386/33E WGS systems (the old AT&T tower
machines that use the Intel supplied motherboard).

What hardware are you using?

If the 6386/33E, there is an AT&T supplied (not USL!) fix that you
will probably need to get out of the former NCR to truly be happy
with it.  It's a serious software hack, and I don't know the status
of it as far as how legal it would be for you to roll back into the
BSD driver (I suspect you wouldn't be alloed to).

The author of the fix, when he used to be with AT&T, is Kurt Mahan,
but he doesn't have any code (I asked him).

If necessary, I can maybe get the update information from Davis
County, Utah (who uses these systems) to let you dig up a disk on
your end and disassemble the code.

It amounts to writing the memory on the card, reading it, and
comparing it, and if it doesn't match, writing it again.

I replaced all the NAU cards on these behemoths with 3COM 3C503's
and haven't had a problem.  Apparently WD cards don't like the
motherboard either.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---