Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 10:09:38 +0300
From:      Valentin Nechayev <netch@iv.nn.kiev.ua>
To:        "Michael A. Endsley" <mandm@alaska.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /boot/boot0 or boot1 bad?

Hello Michael A. Endsley!

 Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 15:40:44, mandm (Michael A. Endsley) wrote about "/boot/boot0 or boot1 bad?":

> When booting from HD, I use a boot manager (Win98, OS/2, FreeBSD), and
> go to FreeBSD. About 1 second after clicking FreeBSD, there appears a
> single line of about 14 characters of gibberish at the bottom left of my
> monitor. It doesn't lock-up the keyboard, but I can't get anything to
> happen either. The Num Lock, Caps Lock, and Scroll Lock keys all work.
> Anyway, I hit C-A-D, and reboot with the kern.flp disk. As soon as the
> "baton" shows, I hit the space bar and type "0:ad(0,a)kernel" and FreeBSD
> boots from the HD just fine.

Not absolutely fine;) - for fine load you should say `0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader';
with `kernel' it boots incorrectly in some aspects.

> Everything is mounted, all programs run, I can
> log in as a normal user and root. Everything is there and looks/runs great.
> If I understand correctly, /boot/boot0 and /boot/boot1 are the first files
> "read".

No. /boot/boot0 and /boot/mbr are variants of MBR (sector 0:0:1) contents:
/boot/mbr silently finds active slice (DOS partition) and boots from it,
/boot/boot0 is BootEasy - FreeBSD-specific boot manager. At beginning of
FreeBSD slice (or "dangerously" ([/stand/sysinstall]) dedicated HDD)
BTX is placed, which consists of /boot/boot1 and /boot/boot2. BTX
loads /boot/loader unless another specified, and /boot/loader boots kernel.

Instead of boot0 stage you have your own boot manager. Possibly in your case
BTX loader is damaged. Recommended vay to fix it is `disklabel -B' command.
When you boot your system successfully with help of floppy,
run `disklabel -B ad0' as root.

> Did I damage one of those files or perhaps a different partition
> on my FreeBSD slice is being pointed to to boot?

Nobody knows without seeing dump ;) Only try to fix it.

> Can it be repaired?  No, I don't have a back-up... no room to spare :(
> BTW- /etc/fstab and ls -l /dev |grep ad0 show the same devices (if that
> helps)

/netch