Date:      Thu, 15 Mar 2001 16:42:21 -0600
From:      "default013" <default013@hotmail.com>
To:        "Drew Tomlinson" <drewt@writeme.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Adding FP Extensions to Apache 1.3.12

Drew,

I ran into this same issue. It has been awhile since then, so I don't
remember the details. All I remember is that the webs did not install right,
and that I tried everything under the sun to get this to work.

Finally what I did was format my hard drive, install a clean install of
freebsd, and use the regular apache installation from apache.org. After a
few tweaks, this was relatively simple to setup.

Personally, I believe that there are alot of small differences between the
freebsd port and the regular install of apache. For one I know the default
conf files are different... anyway, it works great for me now.

By the way, I have had a bad time with the ports in the sense that if any
other application needs to use them, the second application wont link right
or will have trouble using it. For example frontpage, or mysql. I decided
that I won't use the ports any longer, not because they are bad, they work
great as long as you don't try and link another application to them,
especially one that is not a port as well, but just because it is too much
of a hassle to try and re-configure other applications to work with them...