Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 00:18:47 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Gary T. Corcoran" <gcorcoran@lucent.com>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Module parameters?

In message <200007120614.XAA00651@mass.osd.bsdi.com> Mike Smith writes:
: > Something like the following?  I know that there's more routines that
: > need to be written.  parse_int, parse_string, parse_bool, parse_enum
: > should be enough.
: >
: > Comments?
:
: Reuse the parsers in ng_parse.c, or (IMO better) use sscanf format
: strings (which are *extremely* flexible).

sscanf doesn't do enum strings.  sscanf is inadequate in many other
ways as well.  The ng_parse stuff is a little different than the what
I had in mind, but it looks like it might be useful.  I have concerns
about the ng_parse_type being too heavy weight for what I want to do.

It maintains an offset in a long stream of data, and I'm just wanting
to parse one thing.  It seems a lot simpler and useful.  Also,
netgraph isn't required and I'd like to have something that is light
weight enough to be included always.

Warner