Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 22:31:34 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jhb@FreeBSD.ORG (John Baldwin)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de ((Hartmann O.))
Subject:   Re: Spontanous reboot of SMP system and FBSD 4.3

> > On some of the Tyan Tiger boards I've fought withm the system
> > becomes extremely unstable because the invltlb() call after
> > switching to 4M pages is not correctly communicated to the I/O
> > APIC, and unless you have enough memory allocations to force all
> > 8 4M entries out, it can lose its mind, relative to the TLB of
> > one or more of the main CPUs.
>
> Ummm, what the heck are you talking about?  The I/O APIC routes interrupts, it
> doesn't access memory.

I thought all APICs participated in the MESI coherency protocol,
and all had the TLB caches?

The system I fought with was "SMP capable", but did not have a
second CPU installed.  The only things that could get out of
date would be the TLB contents in the cache lines.  If I grab
enough resources to cause age-based TLB shootdown, I don't have
the problem.  Otherwise I fault in the I/O path, when paging in.

Supermicro motherboards don't have the problem.

Setting the "DISABLE_PSE" option makes everything happy again; I
suspect forcing a shootdown via a reload of CR3, or explicitly
invalidating the GDT, would fix my problem.  Right now, I just up
my initial resource consumption and ignore it.

Without this, I get similar symptoms to what he's reporting.

Oh... he will probably want to turn on INVARIANTS, too, and then
convert the printf() in kern/kern_malloc.c in malloc() to actually
panic for "Data modified on freelist", instead of continuing to
run to a cascade failure resulting in a spontaneous reboot...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.