Date:      Mon, 07 Apr 1997 19:21:39 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "SysX" <SysX@worldnet.att.net>
Cc:        support@cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1.7 Installation

> however I was able to install the packages from "PACKAGES/ALL" directory
> because the FreeBSD doesn't recognize the DOS partition where the packages

You can't install packages via the DOS interface that way.  You will
need to copy individual packages over, naming them whatever you like
to keep them under 8.3 naming constraints, and then run pkg_add(1) on
them.

> is copied to. After boot to FreeBSD I tried to mount the DOS partition to
> manually install the packages, I issued the mount command such as: $ mount
> /dev/wd1s1 /home, the system responded with: /dev/wd1s1 on /usr/home:
> incorrect super block. --> what kind of parm is needed for DOS partition?

"man mount"

mount -t msdos /dev/wd1s1 /usr/home

> Would you please let me know the correct command to mount:
> 2. Drive A: DOS formatted floppy (fd0 ?)

mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt

All of this is covered in the handbook, which you can read at
http://www.freebsd.org

> 3. Line printer on parallel port 1 (lpt0 ?)

You can't mount a line printer. :)

					Jordan