Date:      Fri, 16 May 1997 21:07:19 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, joerg@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone know of any software for playing Video CDs?

>From The Desk Of "Jordan K. Hubbard" :
> > Let me make it plain . I can't tell you because along the way I signed
> > an NDA with Omnimedia . Now if you talk nicely to Brian Litzinger he
>               ^^^^^^^^^
>
> Argh.  So we're back to hardware assist again?  I guess we've passed

The answer is that you don't need hardware assist now days.
The way to bypass the Philips Dragonian licensing is to ask
Brian to write a library api for the code he has to decode
CDI and VideoCD.  Once that such a library starts streaming
an MPEG system stream you can feed it to anything a file for instance
or have a program such as mtv play it back.

Currently, mtv does not have such a hook however it should not be
hard at all for the author to implement.

	Amancio