Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 21:08:58 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in (Rahul Siddharthan), reg@FreeBSD.ORG (Jeremy Lea), kris@catonic.net (Kris Kirby), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did NetBSD and FreeBSD diverge?

> >Think "blanket party", as punishment for a members violation
> >of the rules established by the controlling membership.
>
> I haven't encountered the term "blanket party" since I read
> the book Don Quixote years ago. What is a good definition of
> it? (I'd assumed, from context, that it involved public
> humiliation and/or suppression of an individual.)

Supression of an individual.

The most common modern occurance of "blanket party" behaviour
occurs in the military.

It  is a common psychological technique in team-building in the
military to make the authority figure (a drill sergent, in
the "boot camp" phase of training), the object of antipathy,
in an attempt to create a mutual enemy that's non-theoretical
for the others to band against.  The military can't be effective
on pure idealism, moreso if it is involuntary for any reason.

A common technique for punishment, if individual punishment
(e.g. pushups, marches with heavy packs, and so on) do not
cause a person to conform, is to punish the subgroup on behalf
of the persons transgression, leaving it to the subgroup to
correct the persons behaviour.

It's also common that this occurs naturally, as a result of
an individual transgression, for which the individual is not
willing to accept the consequences.  This happens, since it's
also an offence against the team to betray the transgressor
to the teams common enemy.

Knowing this is part of why the military concentrates on
requiting younger people who have not had psychological
training.  It's also why the military has such profound
reactions to attempts by the larger society to change it to
make it "more fair" or "more representitive of society".

The stage set, a "blanket party" is where several members act,
anonymously if there is official consequences threatened for
such activity, with the sanction of the group.  It should be
noted that officialdom is well aware of the paractice, and
tacitly encourages it as a behaviour modification technique,
which they themselves are prohibited from employing.

First, the participants throw a blanket over the person, usually
late at night, in their bunk, while they are asleep, to prevent
identification and official sanction of individuals.  Then, they
take the person, and beat them non-lethally, usually with socks
weighted by filling them with some material.  Then they leave
the person where they were beaten (usually a bathroom, as that's
the only private area in a military barracks, and it aids the
pretense that other members of the group not actually engaged in
the activity "saw nothing").

The official response is usually some token punishment on the
group, which generally fits in as an unannounced training event,
the type of which generally occur periodically anyway.

If the problem persists, the person who is the target is usually
thrown out of the group (discharged from the military); not an
option for the Internet, or we'd have discharged the SPAM'mers
a long time ago.  The technology was simply not built with the
idea of it being a basis for social evolution.  This is actually
part of what makes it so interesting to study, since non-virtual
societies are capable of effective removal opf transgressing
members, either temporarily or permanently.

A "FreeBSD Blanket Party" includes threats of being banned,
kill-filed (virtually banned by a powerful subset), and of
what Brett calls "piling on".  Brett actually tends to make
this a lot easier by providing inflamatory rhetoric based on
his history, which the participants can sieze on to drub him
with, while ignoring his more threatening arguments entirely,
making it about Brett's rhetoric, and not the issues.  I've
pointed this out to him a couple of times; I'm not sure if he
cooperates involuntarily, or if he has a martyr complex that
is being served by the behaviour.

> And what
> rule (or rules) set by TPTB do you think I have violated?

Brett is more vocal about social reform in the FreeBSD society
than is non-self-defeating in scope.  "TPTB" fear social reform,
as it can (and will, if they are not among the initiators) erode
their power base.  For example, in the recent core-team to
committer accountability reform, a number of previous core team
members were demoted from their control of power: FreeBSD is
becoming more mature.  Technically, FreeBSD is a stage 2 "cult",
on the cusp of achieving legitimacy as a "religion" (I'll keep
that analogy, since it's as apt as any).  It's actually the first
Open Source project that I'm aware of to reach this stage (it is
at least the most visible to do so), and that makes it a very
interesting subject of study.

As historical comparison, many early disputes were handled by
one of the parties involved hacking the servers involved, and
removing the accounts, commit priviledges, etc., of the other
party to the dispute.

It's a truism that the drive to sieze power is ego-based, and
so in any society where there isn't an effective negative
feedback mechanism, ego will sieze the reins of power.  This is
not the distopian pronouncement that it seems that it might
first appear, however.  Just because you are driven by ego
does not mean that you are incapable of good governance.  But
the institution of a feedback mechanism of the scope of the
election of core team members by committers on a periodic basis
is unprecedented in a virtual society.  The closest approximation
to an event of this magnitude would be the addition of partially
effective moderation facilities to Usenet, and even so, it takes
an act of "The Usenet Cabal" to remove a moderator.

When I respond to Brett, I generally ignore his rhetoric, and
try to concentrate on the issues, by paring off the rhetoric;
I also use techniques, such as removing attribution, so that
the chain has to be followed to recover it.  I'm not destroying
information when I do this, I'm just destroying bias linkages.
I've been chewed out a number of times for doing this, by
people who prefer to keep those linkages intact.  Call me a
closet anarchist, but you will notice that I am pretty balanced
in the amount of times I agree vs. disagree with the parties
involved, when I do this.

If I had to state what I think are the interesting points of
Brett's case for him, I'd say off the cuff that they were:

o	The society should value non-technical contributors,
	to the point of granting them full citizenship, and
	tolerating them as it does any current citizen.

	I agree with this one.  I think that technical writing
	classes should use FreeBSD as a target, to permit a
	uniform performance evaluation field for students, as
	an example of mutual benefit to both parties.

o	The society is intolerant of outside pressure.

	I agree, but I disagree that this is bad.  The economy
	involved uses small scale costs/payments.  Unlike a
	"real world" software developement effort, people are
	not being paid "here" as much as they would be "out there"
	to work with people they dislike.  The economics of
	tolerance are definitely different.

o	The "core team" concept is detrimental to the project.

	I agree with this, but less than I did.  Now that an
	election process exists, it's much less dangerous to
	the long term survival of the society; they are no
	longer a "star chamber", since they are answerable.

	If I had to characterize the structure at all, I'd
	say that it's an artifact of a non-distributed source
	control system.  Consider the idea of a source control
	system that could operatbased on a "flood-fill" basis,
	where you could inject changes at peering points.
	Right now, there is a "one true" source tree, which
	makes it vulnerable to outside agencies, like tactical
	nukes, star chambers, and lawyers.

o	The society should quit picking on Brett or people like
	him which are attempting to benefit the society.

	Well, there's a certain amount of herd-animal level of
	intelligence to the society itself here, so that might
	be a somewhat valid criticism.  But to say that it is
	aggregiously and counciously, with malice aforethought,
	targeting these people is to take it too personally.
	It's a machine, even if a near-biologically complex one.
	If you are feeling "picked upon", you are probably
	attaching a hell of a lot more importance to yourself
	than the society is (my two cents).

o	The core team is the elected leadership, it should _lead_.

	I agree with this one, too.  I'd like to see architectural
	roadmaps, policy statements, meeting minutes, and other
	things coming from it.  Even if they end up being wrong,
	in the long run, it's better to point to a goal; it won't
	make you any less of a leader, if the goal is never
	achieved.  Right now, they appear to be paralyzed by the
	idea that "it's a volunteer organization, so it has no
	steering wheel".  That's not the point.  A leadership must
	galvanize people into action.  The galvanization, not the
	eventual action taken, is the purvue of a leader.  All
	this may be wrong, but if so, then a diferent crime, one
	of failure to communicate these things, exists.  A good
	start might be to have a "core team" mailing list, and
	to make its archives completely public and keept up to
	date.  Non-core user postings would be sent to the core
	team member list, and could result in core team discussion,
	which would then be public record.

I'd probably add that limiting voting to "commiters" is probably
too narrow, but without a better definition of "citizenship"
that isn't vulnerable to luddistic attack by external agencies,
it's as good a ruler as any, for now.  A society _should_ protect
itself: there are other societies in this same competition domain.
I think that this will take care of itself, if the first point
is addressed.

In any case, I think social reform is interesting, since we
are now evolving completely new societies, the likes of which
have not existed before; you have to admit this, even if you
think the only difference in the medium is that it has the
enforced egalitarianism of a lack of enforced removal from
self-selection (e.g. prisons, exile, or the death penalty).  It
is literally impossible to kick someone out, at least without
an appeal to a real-world method.

FreeBSD as a society would probably have reached equilibrium
as a much less complex entity, had it been possible to send
all our Brett's to Coventry or Australia or the block.  I'm
quite happy that it hasn't.  I'm also quite happy that the
evolutionary pressures, of which Brett is only a tiny example,
continue to force FreeBSD away from equilibrium, and therefore
stagnation.  I'm rather ecstatic that I able to watch.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.