Date:      Sat, 14 Nov 1998 18:42:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chuck Rouillard <crouilla@ucsd.edu>
To:        jm7996@devrycols.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Firewall + IPNAT

[chop]
> For performance reasons, I wiped OpenBSD and installed FreeBSD 3.0.  Now,
> I'm looking for the tools to run the translation and firewalling again.
> I've managed to find /sbin/ipf and /sbin/ipnat, however, I can't find the
> necessarry kernel options in the LINT kernel.
>
> I'd like to stick with ipf & ipnat because I'm familiar with their
> operation.  Can someone help me out here?

options         IPFIREWALL              #enables the IP firewall
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE      #enables logging to /var/log

options         IPDIVERT                #enable NAT operations

The IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE option isn't mandatory, but nice.  If you use
it, look in the LINT file for further comments on related options.

For versions such as 2.2.5(and 2.2.6?), don't forget to add

natd            6668/divert     #NAT socket

to /etc/services.

-chuck