Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 2010 10:43:28 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What to learn from the BSD grep case [Was: why GNU grep is fast]

On Aug 23, 2010, at 9:04 AM, Gabor Kovesdan wrote:

> Hi all,
>=20
> there are some consequences that we can see from the grep case. Here =
I'd like to add a summary, which raises some questions. All comments are =
welcome.
>=20
> 1, When grep entered -CURRENT and bugs were found I immediately got =
kind bug reports and sharp criticism, as well. According to my =
understanding, -CURRENT is for development and it's fine to expose new =
pieces of work there but now I'm in doubt about that because of =
complaining people. On the other hand, an earlier version of BSD grep =
has been in the ports tree for a very long time and users reported some =
problems, which have been fixed but still, there is a lot of bugs there =
which haven't been reported that time. If users don't volunteer to test =
new pieces of code on a volunteer basis, somehow we have to make them =
test it, so I think committing BSD grep to -CURRENT was a good decision =
in the first round.

You did everything right.  You were responsive, you were open to =
suggestions, and you got the code in.  Even more importantly, you got =
the code in a year before 9.0, instead of waiting until the last minute, =
months from now, and creating a dilemma for the release engineers.  =
Software is an iterative process of feedback and improvement.  The way =
that you've handled this should be a model for the project.

Scott