Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 04:12:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Kent Vander Velden <graphix@iastate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.1-Stable Being Unstable

On Sat, 13 Mar 1999, Kent Vander Velden wrote:

> >As a temporary workaround please disable the screen saver code.
> >I was having the same problems with 4.0 and taking out the saver
> >module kept my machine from crashing.
> >
> >As far as the linux emulation...  The same box that i disabled the
> >screen saver is also running the linux module.  It's still running
> >it and seems stable, however the linux code itself is not being
> >used, it's just loaded (i don't have any linux apps to test).
>
>   Does this mean not loading a module or disabling the splash
> pseudo-device?  While both machines have the splash pseudo
> device, only the 486 actually loads a screen saver module.
> The dual-p133 does not load a screen saver and it crashes. The
> dual-p133 loads the linux module but the functionality is
> not used.

Someone else suggested removing splash from your config for the time
being, I agree.

> >I suggest you check if your kernels are being compiled with
> >INVARIANTS or something of the likes, kernels compiled with
> >these options mixed with modules that don't can crash your machine
> >afaik.
>
>   INVARIANTS and other similar diagnostic code switches are not
> enabled on either machine.
>
>   When the dual-p133 crashes the text screen is completely screwed
> up.  The machine is normally running X and the it crashes the screen
> goes blank.  The reboot cycle completes and an OS is loaded.  During
> the reboot cycle I nothing on the screen.  If FreeBSD loads I see
> nothing.  If NT loads I see nothing until the login screen.  If I reboot
> NT I see nothing until NT loads again.  Simply, when FreeBSD crashes
> on this machine while in X (and perhaps when not in X) no text mode
> screen is visible.  So, even if DDB does kick in on this machine
> I would have not way of seeing the text.
>
>   Can the text mode problem be fixed?

You seem to have a lame card that doesn't reset itself properly.

If you want to see debugging output use a serial consol.

Speaking of screen savers on servers, I heard a story about
some dolt who set the company's NT server's screen saver to
a GL saver, totally killed the box until they turned it off.

The kicker?  i think it was a headless box...

:)

-Alfred