Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2012 04:13:05 -0400
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller23@insightbb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
Subject:   Re: ports: make config-recursive doesn't really

from Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>:

I'm trying to build a script to rebuild and reinstall everything I have installed from ports.  I don't want to have to keep checking on it and filling out the
+appropriate check boxes for options.  I naively assumed:

  for port in $ports
  do
    cd /usr/port/$port
    make config-recursive
    cd ../..
  done

would allow me to set up all the dependencies before continuing with the install.

It appears, however, that it doesn't really recurse properly.  I say "appears" only because this is my first time trying this and despite doing the above
+setting of options, I am confronted with additional options screens as the build progresses.

Is there a way to get around this?

This has happened to me too, all too many times.

One way to avoid this problem is to run

make config-recursive

repeatedly until you get no more dialog screens.

Or you can try portmaster as Subhro Sankha Kar suggests; I am only getting started with portmaster, successfully portmastered cdrtools.

I have a lot of ports now to upgrade (master?)  I like to keep a log such as by
(command) | & tee /path/to/log-file, or anything else that works equally well.

Tom