Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 1996 10:57:09 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Latest Current build failure

> >Actually, you could seperate the process using a covert channel for the
> >checkout for the build server:
> >
> >2)      copy active cvs tree on repository to statis cvs tree on
> >        build server
> >5)      copy successfully test-built static cvs tree on build server
> >        to distribution cvs tree on distribution server (could be
> >        the same machine, the repository, or could be a third machine)
>
> As I have said, we don't need to worry about the distribution of "cvs"
> trees. If I have such a tree, I can check out the (redefined) "current"
> distribution without worrying whether or not it is the "head" or if "head"
> is buildable at the present time.
>
> What we need to "limit" is the access known as "current". Updates of that
> version would be subject to the "buildability" test.

How can you tell the difference between a copy-time inconsistency that
results from a copy interleaving with a checkin process, as opposed
to an artifact in the cvs tree itself causing the inconsistency?

This is, in fact, my problem with the "token/vote" scenario.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.