Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2018 22:13:22 +0200
From:      Patrick Proniewski <patpro@patpro.net>
To:        Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possible break-in attempt?

Hi,

You can ignore them totally (you should), and if you can't, make sure =
you limit possibility of brute force attack on your sshd:
- configure a firewall to stop them
- and/or activate blacklistd on sshd
- and/or change listening port of sshd=20

I get thousands of these every day, won't kill you and not worth losing =
your time.

> On 18 juil. 2018, at 22:07, Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com> wrote:
>=20
> Sometimes I am receiving messages like this from my server:
>=20
> nas.myserver.mydomain.com login failures:
> Jul 17 08:35:02 nas sshd[5994]: reverse mapping checking getaddrinfo =
for 162.132-254-62.static.virginmediabusiness.co.uk [62.254.132.162] =
failed - POSSIBLE BREAK-IN ATTEMPT!
>=20
> On different days they are from different IPs and they would-be mapped =
to different reverse dns names. How to deal with those =
messages/attempts?