Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 2002 02:16:15 +0200
From:      Clement Laforet <sheepkiller@cultdeadsheep.org>
To:        "Giovanni P. Tirloni" <tirloni@bs2.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [OT] All-in-one server

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002 16:33:11 -0300 (BRT)
"Giovanni P. Tirloni" <tirloni@bs2.com.br> wrote:

Hi,

I was working, few monthes ago, on a similar project.
Here what I used (it makes me think I should find my notes... one day maybe...).
It was designed to be scalable, easy to rescue and to maintain.
Mail service can manage easily 10,000 mailings lists, 50,000 pop accounts, supporting multidomains and multiples services.
I used single UID account for mail services and on for mass web hosting.
Some users got a real UID to provide suEXEC CGI and some apaches hacks.
I had to patch courier-IMAP to provide a more secure way to auth. (replacing strcpy to strncpy)
To permit some users to use SSH or SFTP, I had to install pam-mysql.

 	- SMTP : qmail + vpopmail (you can add : qmail-admin + vqadmin)
	- POP3, POP3s, IMAP, IMAPs : courier-imap [pacthed]
	- FTP : proftpd + module MySQL
	- HTTP : Apache + mod_auth_mysql (+ mod_v2h)
	- DNS : bind 8.x + MySQL support + Apache frontend (not very useful)
	- RADIUS : none ;)
	- DATABASE : MySQL ;o)

I also used a private DNS to provide scalability, because it was planned to have 2 more servers.
One filer and one for MySQL. It was very usefull, since MySQL database's migration took only 2 hours, including replication.
It needs some PHP/CGI dev, but I find this solutions cool for a small server :)

that's all :)
Maybe my advice won't help you ;) (i don't hope so)

clem

PS : sorry "for my english", I didn't write or speak english for a time ;)