Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 2000 23:28:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      wellsian <wellsian@caffeine.com>
To:        Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>
Cc:        FreeBSD QUESTIONS <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: dump/restore question..

You'll be fine. The restore program writes files, not disk blocks like dd.
It behaves in the same manner as ftp or other user-programs, and doesn't
care about the size of the original filesystem. (assuming there's enough
space of course)

If you have the opportunity, I would attach the replacement drive to the
same system and perform the dump/restore process in one shot. Or better,
use cpio or pax. That would save lots of time over a tape or network dump
and eventual restore, though it sounds like a full backup before starting
might be wise. :)

Dave