Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:54:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      matthew <matthew@netway.com>
To:        Dragoncrest <dragoncrest@voyager.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSH problem partially solved!!  Still need help.

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Dragoncrest wrote:

> 	Ok, I finally figured out why my configs weren't loading for
> ssh.  Apparently when you startup SSHD it loads some weird default
> sshd_config file that I can't seem to find.  However, if I specify "sshd -f
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config" it will load my config file and my ssh works the way
> it should.  Now I can obviously edit my /usr/local/etc/rc.d/sshd.sh file to
> do this on startup, but it's baffling the living heck out of me as to why
> sshd doesn't load the default /etc/ssh/sshd_config file when you load it
> from the command prompt by typing "/usr/sbin/sshd".

Look in /usr/local/etc/
sshd proably checks there first. this sort of thing happened to me
with procmail and procmail.rc. Until of course i read the man page.

sshd will refuse to start if no config file. I reckon it is in there.

also a locate sshd_config after running /etc/per*/week*/310* to update
the search db.

Almost there.