Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 1997 11:13:15 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Elton Chiu <echiu@majendie.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best way to upgrade to 2.2.2 from 2.2.1

Elton Chiu wrote:

> I have just received the Release 2.2.2 CD from the mail. I have tried the
> upgrade option from the sysinstall and found it a little confusing. Could
> anyone please advise me whether there are any better ways to upgrade with
> the CD? If the sysinstall is the only way, what are the proper steps? I
> don't want to reinstall the OS, however.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Elton.
>
> ======================
>  Use UNIX - You next.
> ======================

The other way is to upgrade the source tree and make world, but I find
sysinstall easier most of the time. What you need to do is:

1. Backup /etc
2. Boot the installation disk for 2.2.2 and choose the upgrade option.
Be careful to select the same distributions as you did for the first
installations, or some of the old versions will be retained.
3. When sysinstall is finished it will let you merge your old /etc
files. Simply diff new and old versions to find out what have changed.
4. Reboot, and be happy.

Hope this helps,
Nadav