Date:      Tue, 6 Apr 1999 15:56:09 -0700
From:      "Brian O'Shea" <boshea@ricochet.net>
To:        Aldrin L <aldrin@americasnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Semaphores

On Tue, Apr 06, 1999 at 06:36:40PM -0300, Aldrin L wrote:
> 	I was thinking about some sorta of serialization when writing to a
> data file. My project is a SNPP (rfc1861) <-> TAP gateway for alphanumeric
> paging devices. For simplicity and to faster devel., i chose to write is
> as as an attached process to xinetd. The problem is that i need to write
> batches of messages, and i think i have to care about its serialization.
> Or not, if i do it atomically. Does FreeBSD supports the posixen "Atomic
> Operations"?
>
> 	What about named pipes? Do i have then available under FreeBSD?

Named pipes are supported; see the mkfifo(1) man page.  It sounds like
you might be able to get away with using advisory record locking with
lockf(3), which is quite a bit simpler to use than System V semaphores.
Also, file locks are not persistant so if your program crashes, any
locks it holds are released automatically by the system.  They are
slightly slower than semaphores, though.

I don't know about POSIX "Atomic Operations".  Can't find a reference
to them, so I'm guessing the answer is no.

> > p.s.  Is there any particular reason for why you don't want to recompile
> > your kernel?
>
> 	The first: just to know which IPC options i had under freebsd;
> 	Secondly: I'm a lazy person. Just want to avoid kernel compiles.
> But i'll do it, it's just a matter of grabbing and reading the docs. :]

You shouldn't find it too difficult.  I thought you were concerned about
downtime or something.

Cheers,
-brian

--