Date:      Sat, 4 Mar 1995 08:09:04 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: backspace now broken

As Bruce Evans wrote:

> The backspace key is now mapped to ^? by default, breaking 3 years of
> 386BSD-FreeBSD tradition and 13 years of <deleted> tradition.

I disagree.  It breaks less than one year of FreeBSD tradition (where
it bothered several people in the meantime).  FreeBSD switched to
syscons as default console driver with version 1.1.5.1 (June '94).
The previous default driver pccons, as well as pcvt used ^? as delete
character all the time, and that's also what is our default terminal
setting (i.e., you'll need an explicit stty for everything else).

Btw., <Shift>BS used to give you a ^H (and does now also for syscons),
as well as <Ctrl>H. :)

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/