Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 2000 15:11:05 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: .core Files?

* Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com> [20001106 07:57]:
=>My system is running low on space in /.  After the system was built, I had
=>about 50% free.  I haven't added anything substantial to the system since I
=>built it but now the system is at 108%.
=>
=>I have looked at the disk and found files *.core files that appear to be
=>rather large.  File names are syslogd.core, inetd.core, telnetd.core, and
=>tcsh.core. They appear to be binary files.  Are these files from core dumps?
=>I don't even know if I've had a core dump or not but I have powered off the
=>system without shutting down properly.  Can these files be safely deleted?

I'm pretty sure cleaning out those files will not harm your system. My
understanding is that those files would be generated when an application
crashes (I may be proved wrong) and I always delete them.

I know of 2 ways to go:
Move /tmp to /usr .If you have enough space in /usr then create /tmp there
and make /tmp symlink to /usr/tmp (I am told this might create a problem
later when you boot to single user mode, so better do the same in single
user mode, which takes care of multi-user mode too). You can then delete
/tmp

And I use this script ocassionally to clean up:

#!/bin/sh
find / \( -name a.out -o -name core \
-o -name '#*#' \) -type f -atime +14 \
-exec rm -f {} \; -o -fstype nfs -prune

You may adopt it....It does not clean on NFS file system.

HTH

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

Calm down, it's *only* ones and zeroes.