Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2012 09:26:03 -0500
From:      "xenophon\\+freebsd" <xenophon+freebsd@irtnog.org>
To:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Custom Kernel for FreeBSD Installation

How do I go about replacing the kernel on the FreeBSD installation CDs?
I assume it's as simple as replacing the relevant files in the ISO
image, and that if I look at "make release", I can figure out how the CD
image gets generated.=20

I'm trying to install FreeBSD onto a HP ProLiant DL380 G3 with a Smart
Array 5i controller, for use as a file server.  Rather than use Smart
Array's RAID features, I want to use ZFS's RAID-Z1/Z2, so I have
configured 18 RAID-0 volumes, each consisting of a single drive attached
to the Smart Array controller.  This totals 18 drives, so at boot time,
the ciss(4) driver logs the following error:

	ciss0: <Compaq Smart Array 5i> port 0x3000-0x30ff mem
0xf05c0000-0xf05fffff,0xf04f0000-0xf04f3fff irq 10 at device 3.0 on pci1
	ciss0: PERFORMANT Transport
	ciss0: adapter claims to report absurd number of logical drives
(18 > 15)
	device_attach: ciss0 attach returned 6=09

According to Paul Saab
(http://lserinol.blogspot.com/2012/03/freebsd-ciss-driver-logical-drive-
limit.html), the constant CISS_MAX_LOGICAL limits the amount of memory
used by the driver for DMA by default.

Best wishes,
Matthew

--=20