Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 95 23:37 CDT
From:      steve@simon.chi.il.us (Steven E. Piette)
To:        fenner@parc.xerox.com, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting tcpdump to work with the BPF

> From: "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
> Subject: Re: Getting tcpdump to work with the BPF
> To: fenner@parc.xerox.com (Bill Fenner)
> Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 21:12:50 -0700 (PDT)
> Cc: freebsd-current@freebsd.org
>

> > In article <406pje$3tu@sol.ctr.columbia.edu>,
> > Bill Paul <wpaul@ctr.columbia.edu> wrote:
> > >You're not missing anything: it's the Intel EtherExpress 'ix' driver
> > >that's missing something. It doesn't yet include BPF support.
> >
> > Although I know nothing about the EtherExpress in particular, I know what
> > BPF needs; these patches *should* do the trick.
> >

> Except they fail to put the card into promiscous mode :-(.
>
> Some one else has been passed work passed to me that had some rather serious
> lock up bugs and is working on this.  I hope they pick this bit up here,
> as this looks rather clean as far as the tap off.
>
> Putting in EEXP16 into and out of promiscous mode is no simple thing to
> do though, and I am reasonably sure that is where the bugs in the other
> patches sent to me are at.

Does anyone have the docs for this card? I've got on to hack and test with
but no docs to start hacking from.

Steve Piette                                       Applied Computer Technology
steve@simon.chi.il.US.                             7N852 Phar Lap Drive
(708) 513-6920                                     St. Charles, IL 60175-6868