Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 2004 00:24:26 +0100
From:      Maurice van Steensel <mauricevansteensel@mac.com>
Subject:   kernel panic of 5.2 RELEASE during install on a dell x300

Hi all

I tried to install 5.2 RELEASE on my stock Dell latitude X300 (I am
aware of the status of new technology releases) on which I now run 4.9
(ACPI flaky - kernel panics upon AC/adapter insertion/extraction,
otherwise everything yummie). Unfortunately I got a kernel panic during
install. It's reproducible and happens directly upon loading device
bge0. Disabling ACPI doesn't help. Verbose logging gives some additional
info, see below.
Here's the trace with ACPI:

bge0: Ethernet address: 00:0b:db:e4:47:a0
bge0: MII without any PHY!

cpuid = 0 ; apic id = 00
fault virtual address = 0x4
fault code            = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer   = 0x8:0xc04eba26
stack pointer         = 0x10:0xc1021a00
frame pointer	      = 0x10:0xc1021014
code segment          = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
		      = DPL0, pres1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags      = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
current process       = 0 (swapper)
trap number           = 12
panic : page fault
cpuid = 0
uptime : 1s

With ACPI disabled, the stack and frame pointers change:
stack pointer = 0x10:0xc1021ab4
frame pointer = 0x10:0xc1021ac8

When booting with verbose logging on, there a little bit of extra info
that is still on the screen when the kernel panics:
"pcib1 : device bge0 requested decoded memory range
0xe200000-0xe020ffff".
This behavior is reproducible. The addresses I mentioned do not change.
I have this feeling the problem is with bge0 :)

I hope this helps. For now, I'm happy with 4.9 despite the kernel panics
with AC adapter. 5.1 did better with that but had trouble with my PCMCIA
wireless (BElkin) adapter. Ah well - life just doesn't want to be
perfect, does it?

Maurice van Steensel