Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 2002 23:20:22 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>
To:        Karl Dunn <k.l.dunn@ieee.org>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multia: syscons does not find PCI vga card

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:08:08PM -0600, Karl L. Dunn wrote:
> I have a Multia/UDB (alpha) to which I added a Diamond VGA card in the
> internal PCI slot.  This has a S3 Trio64V+ chip.  The intent is to be able
> to run X over FreeBSD 4.6.2.
>
> Linux RH6.0 (boot from the ARC of course) works OK with the S3 card
> (XF86_S3), and it worked OK with the internal TGA card (XF86_TGA).  But
> it's Linux, and I'd much rather have FreeBSD.
>
> The SRM talks only to the TGA.  I don't care about that -- I can set it to
> autoboot and move the monitor to the S3 VGA and forget about it unless I
> want to see it again someday.

You need to initialize a card for text mode.
This is normaly done by the BIOS.
Especially as FreeBSD needs it on the standart VGA addresses, which
is part of the PCI initialisation of the BIOS.
Nevertheless if SRM had initialized the normal PCI part of that card
you can use it with XF86.

> The problem is that syscons can't find the S3 VGA (see the verbose dmesg
> output below).  Maybe this is related to what the SRM leaves behind, but I
> doubt it.  The kernel here is the GENERIC that came on the 4.6.2 CD I got
> from the BSD mall.
>
> Can anybody give me some help here?
>
> If this can't be solved, can the TGA be used for X on 4.6.2, and if so
> how? (It looks as if some of the stuff needed is in the source tree.)  I
> like the S3 card more than the TGA, but I have used the TGA with Linux and
> NTalpha (ugh!) for about two years, and it's certainly usable.

I don't know, but if it has worked with XF86 on Linux chances are good
that it also works with FreeBSD.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de