Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 1996 15:18:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
To:        taob@io.org (Brian Tao)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Here comes the next wave to UNIX-wannabes...

> "Apple and Open Software Foundation Announce Linux for Power Macintosh"
>
> "Apple Computer is supporting a project with the Open Software
> Foundation (OSF) to port Linux, a freely distributed version of UNIX,
> to a variety of Power Macintosh products. This version of Linux
> operates on the OSF Mach microkernel which will be running natively on
> the PowerPC microprocessor."
>
>     And to top it all off:
>
> Q: Why did Apple port Linux vs NetBSD, BSD 4.4 or some other UNIX?
>
> A: There is an enormous amount of support for Linux on the internet
> and Apple felt that porting Linux was the best way to address the
> needs of the higher ed and scientific communities.
>
>     ... and the snowball keeps getting bigger and bigger.  God, that's
> depressing.

Here's my ramblings on the subject:

Too bad -- it's Linux not FreeBSD -- but with DEC doing Linux for the
Alpha someone was going to do Linux for the PowerPC.

I've been saying IBM ought to do it -- or Motorolla ought to do it.
(I'd be happy to see either FreeBSD or Linux on the PowerPC from
either Apple or someone else...)

A port of Linux may be quite helpful to push back the Wintel
virtual desktop monopoly... (especially now that OS/2 for the PowerPC is
dead and Apple's not looking to solid either...)

Bill

 Bill Pechter/Carolyn Pechter        | The postmaster always pings twice.
 Lakewood MicroSystems               | 17 Meredith Drive,
 908-389-3592                        | Tinton Falls, NJ 07724
 pechter@shell.monmouth.com          |