Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 2014 15:24:07 -0400
From:      Julio Merino <jmmv@freebsd.org>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-testing@freebsd.org" <freebsd-testing@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Need input on preference on location of 3rd party tests vs FreeBSD tests

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 5:52 PM, Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 18, 2014, at 7:45 AM, Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 1:11 AM, Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>   One of the things that I've done on my fork of FreeBSD is I've import=
ed ATF test suites from NetBSD and I have integrated existing test suites f=
rom freebsd's tools/regression tree into Kyua as well. Due to the size and =
difference in test content/coverage, I pulled lib/libc and lib/msun from bo=
ther sources and integrated them into Kyua. What I did was I put the netbsd=
 testcases into the tests/ subdirectory and put the FreeBSD test suites int=
o a tests/legacy subdirectory. The goal was that the legacy directory would=
 eventually be converted over to atf testcases and then could be removed on=
ce the conversion was complete.
>>>   I'm not sure if this scheme makes sense though. Does anyone have a pr=
eference as to whether or not this makes sense?
>>> Thanks!
>>> -Garrett
>>

>> I don't understand.  What did you put in tests/legacy?
>
> The tests from tools/regression. tests/ contains the tests from NetBSD.

I do not think adding tests under src/tests/ is a good idea. We have
chosen to put tests under the 'tests' subdirectories of the affected
components and we should stick to this rule except for very specific
cases (see src/tests/sys/). Creating an artificial barrier between
tests imported from NetBSD and native tests to FreeBSD is not
beneficial (e.g. why should users/developers care where the tests came
from?).

"Reusing the NetBSD Makefiles" is not a strong enough reason because
those are usually trivial -- and if they aren't, that's an indication
that they are wrong!

We have two options:

1) We treat the NetBSD tests as upstream. In this case, we ought to do
the right thing, which is to put them in a vendor branch, merge into
contrib, and add reachover Makefiles where necessary.

OR

2) We just copy the code (effectively a fork), and when doing so we
can do as we wish with the structure.

So...

Option 1 may sound nice, but it will be problematic long-term without
collaboration from NetBSD: I don't think we want to treat NetBSD's
tests as upstream if NetBSD themselves don't consider the tests as a
"first class project" (and they don't currently). Not to mention that
this will require a significant amount of local patching with the
corresponding maintenance headaches.

Option 2 is definitely easier to handle on our side, but with the
obvious disadvantage that we won't be able to easily import tests from
NetBSD. How big of a problem is that today? Honestly the fact that our
codebases are separate for things like libc is more of a problem than
having diverging tests.

Option 3 (yes, another one!) would be to start a third-party
repository holding "generic Unix tests" (a POSIX test suite?) that
both NetBSD and FreeBSD import as a third-party product. Then, each
system would just extend these suites with local patches to verify
their system-specific behavior. A very nice option in my opinion, but
this is a major effort.  (And this can be tackled later once we the
FreeBSD Test Suite is more complete and we can easily spot how much it
overlaps to the NetBSD one.)