Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 1996 10:52:38 -0700
From:      Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        Brian Tao <taob@io.org>, FREEBSD-SCSI-L <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>, netbsd-help@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tape library or DLT support in FreeBSD/NetBSD

On Thu, 25 Apr 1996 04:07:46 -0500 (CDT)
 "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net> wrote:

 > >     Of prime importance is OS support for the unit.  :)  Has anyone
 > > successfully used something like the HP C1553A or the Conner 4586NP
 > > autoloaders?  I have a script that uses FreeBSD's scsi(8) command to
 > > change cartridges on the C1553A, but that still requires some sort of
 > > operator intervention.  Something like a DLT4000 unit would be great
 > > if I can access it through /dev/nrst0 like any other SCSI tape drive.
 > > Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

For the record, I wrote a new SCSI changer driver for NetBSD (and ported it
to FreeBSD, though I haven't submitted the PR to the FreeBSD guys, yet) and
userland program to control the changer.  It's been thoroughly tested
under NetBSD-current and FreeBSD-2.1 with a Conner changer coupled with
an Archive Python DAT.  On the particular changer I used, the tape drive
was at lun0 and the changer at lun1 (which caused at least a little
trouble, given the autoconfiguration scheme employed by the FreeBSD SCSI
code, but is work-around-able).

The new ch driver should work with any model of SCSI changer that follows
the SCSI changer spec.  For users of NetBSD-current, see the chio(1)
manual page.

 > I don't see why it shouldn't work...  It would probably
 > be pretty straight forward to get Amanda to work with either solution.

The fellow I wrote the driver for is using it for automated backups, and
it's working Great.  Using the FreeBSD scsi(8) command is sort of ugly
for manipulating a changer, since there's nothing there to keep state for
you.  The new ch driver takes care of all of this.

Anyhow, I'll try and get the FreeBSD version packaged up and sent off today.