Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 11:44:10 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
Cc:        Jesse <j@lumiere.net>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Debug kernel by default? (was: Taking panic dumps (was: 3.1-STABLE dies on 40+ connects (resolved)))

On Saturday, 27 March 1999 at 21:18:06 +0100, Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

>>> I asked in other messages if anyone still wanted me to do that. No one
>>> replied. Anyway, I'll do this at an off hour and get a core dump.
>>
>> OK.  I really should put this in the FAQ, since it's really important.
>
> I agree - it's really important, that's why it's in the handbook. :-)

Well, there's a threshold difference between the handbook and the FAQ.
In addition, the description in the handbook is rather confusing.  I
intend to overhaul it once the handbook comes out of its freeze
(hopefully soon).

In that connection, any comments about changing the default way of
building a kernel to create a debug kernel and a stripped copy, and
install the stripped copy?  It would require about 10 MB more storage
and a little more time to build the kernel, but since kgdb is useless
without the debug symbols, and disk space is cheap, it seems to me
that it would be worthwhile.

Greg