Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:59:27 -0800
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
Cc:        viren@rstcorp.com, kelly@pluto.plutotech.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Starwars trailer?

On Fri, Mar 12, 1999 at 10:04:06AM -0700, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> Viren R. Shah wrote...
> >
> > That looks like it is the first SW trailer, not the new one which just
> > came out yesterday:
[snip]
> > The new one has the Sorenson codec, which my version of xanim does not
> > support. There's also an mpeg version out, but the only app that I
> > know that can play that is mpeg_play which does video only (no
> > audio).
>
> Bummer.  Well, I don't know any magic tricks to get it to work.  I suppose
> someone would either have to get an MPEG player that does audio too, or
> someone will have to add support for the "Sorenson" codec to xanim.

Sorenson compression seems to be really cool.  About eight months ago I
was working for a guy who was embedding small videos on his web site; he
had been searching around for good encoding methods and found Sorenson
encoding, which has a high compression rate with minimal data loss.  The
resulting video streams well and was the best thing he found for his
application.  I was there as he was doing a side-by-side comparison with
other algorithms, and saw that Sorenson generated a good-looking video
that was much better quality than a similar-sized one using several
other encoding mechanisms (not sure of the exact ones).

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                     Madness takes its toll.
mailto:gsutter@pobox.com              Please have exact change.