Date:      Fri, 04 Jun 1999 02:09:18 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Routers and such

>Rest assured that FreeBSD will handle your needs for some time to
>come.

I think the major place where FreeBSD falls down in terms of routing is
software.  Although gateD does the job, you dont nearly have the same
features as you would with a higher end Cisco.  However, that being said,
you can get fairly decent performance, and the critical features with a
decent amount of reliability.  Still, it can be a challenge getting it all
working since the documentation and support is sparse.  There is lots for
Cisco gear, which is helpful to learn the concepts, but you need to take
that into the gateD world and things initially can get lost in the
transition so to speak.  But like I said, it will work.  We use a pair of
PIIs for our border routers connected to two upstreams taking a full view,
and one connection to another peer exchanging only a few routes. Internally
we use OSPF for our dynamic routing needs... All on full duplex 100BT Full
Duplex ethernet.  At peak times, we pull in a good 4Mb in one link and 1Mb
out another and a not that much out the private peer.  No problems, no
latency, no packet loss.  This compared to a Cisco 4500 that fell over when
it brought up one full view.  But as the poster said, you want a good
ethernet switch connecting it all together.  The Cisco Catalyst series
works quite well with FreeBSD and the fxp cards...

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada