Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 1995 18:53:40 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Include files and 'release' engineering

I'm sure there is a way to have your cake and eat it too w/regards to the
include files.

Poul wants to be able do: 'cc -I$(DESTDIR)/usr/include -L$(DESTDIR)
....' and it will 'Do The Right Thing'

Garrett and I want to be able to keep in sync with the kernel w/out daily
runs of 'cd /usr/src/include; make all install'.

The problem:

Currently, the stuff install in /usr/include/{sys|net|...} use the symlink
/usr/include sys -> /sys/sys, which still resolves to /sys/sys even when
$(DESTDIR) is set.  What we need is some Apollo-Domain hacking, but since we
don't have that, what else can we do?

Solution:
When $(DESTDIR) is set completely populate $(DESTDIR)/usr/include as it
is done now when COPIES != SHARED.  Then, $(DESTDIR)/usr/include is
completely valid, AND we can still allow shared /usr/include for the
'developers' case?

The other problems with building the release with the tools in
$(DESTDIR) are orthogonal to this, and are much more complicated than
some people would like them to sound.

What other problems exist with making the tree self-hosting?  (not
including the above two problems)

Nate