Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 1997 11:56:49 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   CVS kills me or did I kill CVS ? cvs import / cvs HEAD question ...

Hi !

I started to get apsfilter under CVS control and imported
every released apsfilter version by doing something like:

	mkdir ~/src/apsfilter
	cd ~/src/apsfilter
	tar xvpf ../apsfilter.released/aps-48.tgz
	cvs import -m "apsfilter V 4.8" src/apsfilter APSFILTER v4_8
	rm -rf *
	[...]
	tar xvpf ../apsfilter.released/aps-491.tgz
	cvs import -m "apsfilter V 4.91" src/apsfilter APSFILTER v4_91

Now I forgot to checkout apsfilter first before doing modifications..
I "saved" this modified version by moving the apsfilter directory
to apsfilter.new

Then I though checking out apsfilter and replacing the files should
do the trick.

	cd ~/src
	mv apsfilter apsfilter.new
	cvs checkout apsfilter

I had to recognize, that checking out a module from a cvs
repository that only consists of vendor (or release ?)
branches seems to checkout every file in it's last version.

So I got more files (on the whole, a mix of all versions I
imported) than I wanted.

This way I recognized, that the CVS repository I created is something
different from the FreeBSD one, where checking out a module always
results in getting the latest version where everybody is working on
(HEAD).

Ok, now I thought I have perhaps to checkout the latest version
and import it as HEAD ...
(feel now something like "bastard CVS-meister from hell" ;-)

But currently I don't know it better and trying to make my
experiences to get better knowledge of CVS.
So I did a:

	cd ~/src
	rm -rf apsfilter
	cvs checkout -r v4_91 apsfilter
	cd apsfilter
	cvs import -m "apsfilter V 4.91" src/apsfilter APSFILTER HEAD

But simply doing a checkout still bring only version 4.91 ...

Now the questions ...

Do I have done something evil by importing to HEAD ?
If yes, is it recoverable and how ?
How do bring version v4_91 to HEAD in a sane way ?
Did I understand something basically wrong or was the way to get
apsfilter under CVS control correct ?

Thanks

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm                    powered by ,,symmetric multiprocessor FreeBSD''
andreas@klemm.gtn.com            - http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/SMP.html