Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:51:01 -0500
From:      Dennis Moore <archon@forbidden.dough.net>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: All network ports in use!

On Fri, Apr 27, 2001 at 11:48:41AM -0500, Buliwyf McGraw wrote:

>  Help, my server can not allow more connections from the users...
>
>  When somebody do telnet, then get this message:
>
>                   All network ports in use
>                   Connection Closed... :(

as others suggested, first increase the pseudo-tty number and create more
devices.  however, when creating devices be sure to do them consecutively.
if you are missing any in the series, telnetd will stop searching at the
last consecutive one.

in other words, if you have /dev/ptyp* and /dev/ptyr* but you are missing
/dev/ptyq*, you will only be able to use /dev/ptyp*.

HTH, HAND.

--
Dennis Moore                                         jesus sewed my pants
Pro Bono Devil's Advocate                              it's a love affair